15. Select the statement that does not apply to the kingdom Fungi
A.The fungi are eukaryotic, multicellular, ingestive heterotrophs
B.Some fungi form beneficial interrelationships with plants
C.The fungal life cycle typically includes a spore stage
D.Certain fungi are natural sources of antibiotic substances
16. The amount of peptidoglycan in the cell walls of a mushroom
A.is greater than the amount of chitin in the cell walls of a mushroom
B.is lesser than the amount of chitin in the cell walls of a mushroom
C.is exactly or approximately equal to the amount of chitin in the cell walls of a mushroom
D.none of the above
17. Fungi are important to food webs because
A.they are photoautotrophs
B.they have prokaryotic cell structure
C.they serve as key decomposers of dead organic matter
D.they generate antibiotics that kill competing plants and animals
18. __________ exhibit yeast-like growth at human body temperatures and mold-like growth at room temperature.
B.Black bread molds
19. __________ produce motile sexual and asexual spores.
B.are prokaryotic cells
C.have cell walls of peptidoglycan
D.secrete extracellular enzymes to breakdown nutrients
21. The fungus responsible for ergotism belongs to which of the following fungal divisions?
Page 3 of 9