8. If the free energy change (ΔG) in a reaction is a negative value, it indicates that the
A.reaction releases energy
B.reaction absorbs energy
C.reaction is in negative direction
D.reaction is in positive direction
9. To a living organism, which of the following has the greatest amount of available energy per molecule?
10. Which of the following is the best evidence for the lock and key theory of enzyme action?
A.Compounds similar in structure to the substrate inhibit enzyme activity
B.Enzymes are found in living organisms and speed up certain reactions
C.Enzymes speed up reactions by definite amounts
D.Enzymes determine the direction of a reaction
11. In the reaction, C6H12O6+ 6O2 → 6CO2 + 6H2O + energy, which component is being oxidized?
12. The fact that β-oxidation of fatty acids, occurs in the mitochondria whereas fatty acid synthesis occurs in the cytoplasmic matrix, is an example of regulation of enzymatic activity by the __________ mechanism.
13. In the reaction, C6H12O6 + 6O2 → 6CO2 + 6H2O + energy, which component is being reduced?
14. The affinity of an enzyme for its substrate, when the enzyme has a Km of 0.50 M will be __________ than the affinity of an enzyme for its substrate when the enzyme has a Km of 0.05 M.
Page 2 of 4