1. A steel rod of 2 cm diameter and 5 metres long is subjected to an axial pull of 3000 kg. If E = 2.1 x 106, the elongation of the rod will be
A. 2.275 mm
B. 0.2275 mm
C. 0.02275 mm
D. 2.02275 mm.
2. If a steel rod of 20 mm diameter and 5 metres long elongates by 2.275 mm when subjected to an axial pull of 3000 kg, the stress developed, is
A. 9.5541 kg/cm2
B. 95.541 kg/cm2
C. 955.41 kg/cm2
D. 9554.1 kg/cm2.
3. When two plates butt together and are riveted with two cover plates with two rows of rivets, the joint is known as
A. lap joint
B. butt join
C. single riveted single cover butt joint
D. double riveted double cover butt joint.
4. If the rivets in adjacent rows are staggered and outermost row has only one rivet, the arrangement of the rivets, is called
A. chain riveting
B. zig-zag riveting
C. diamond riveting
D. none of these.
5. The distance between the centres of adjacent rivets in the same row, is called
D. staggered pitch
6. Failure of riverted joints is due to
A. Tearing of the plates between the edge of the plate
B. Tearing of plates between rivets
C. Shearing of rivets
D. All the above.
7. According to Unwin's formula, the diameter d of a rivet of plate of thickness t is :
A. d = 6.05 IT
C. d = Nr6-t
D. d = Nr6-t2
Page 1 of 25