57. Pick up the correct statement from the following :
A. The object of classifying soils is to arrange them into groups according to their properties and behavior
B. A soil classification system is meant to provide an accepted and systematic method of describing the various types of soils eliminating personal factors
C. The first category of soil classification is based on grain size of the snil
D. All the above.
58. For general engineering purposes, soils are classified by
A. particle size classification system
B. textural classification system
C. High Way Research Board (HRB), classification system
D. unified soil classification system.
59. Soil classification of composite soils, exclusively based on the particle size distribution, is known
A. particle classification
B. textural classification
C. High Way Research Board classification
D. unified soil classification.
60. Soils containing organic matters
A. are of spongy nature
B. swell with decrease of moisture
C. shrink with increase of moisture content
D. none of these.
61. Pick up the correct statement from the following :
A. A soil having pH value more than 7 is an acidic soil
B. A soil having pH value less than 7 is an acidic soil
C. A soil having pII value more than 7 is an alkaline soil
D. A soil containing chemicals for the manufacture of porfland cement is preferred.
62. Which one of the following statements is true ?
A. Clays are more porous than sands
B. Pressure of organic matter in a soil decreases the bearing capacity of the soil
C. Aluminous cement is used for foundations in soils with chemical deposits
D. All the above.
63. The change of moisture content of soils, changes the
A. value of the angle of repose
B. amount of compaction required
C. cohesive strength of soil
D. all the above.
Page 9 of 42