43. A suspended particle falls through a height // cm in water in t minutes. If the viscosity of water is 11 and specific gravity of the particle is G, the diameter of the particle is, where M is a constant factor.
C. 105M I -4
D. 102M fr-
44. Sedimentation analysis is based on the assumption :
A. soil particles are spherical
B. particles settle independent of other particles
C. walls of the jar do not affect the settlement
D. all the above.
45. Stoke's law does not hold good if the size of particle is smaller than
A. 0.0002 mm
B. 0.002 mm
C. 0.02 mm
D. 0.2 mm.
46. According to IS : 2720 ? 1965, the composition of a dispersing solution used in pipette analysis for determining the size of particles, is
A. sodium-hexametaphosphate 33 g, sodium carbonate 7 g and distilled water one litre
B. sodium-hexametaphosphate 7 g, sodium carbonate 33 g and distilled water one litre
C. sodium-hexametaphosphate 23 g, sodium carbonate 17 g and distilled water one litre
D. none of these.
47. Pick up the correct statement from the following :
A. In hydrometer method, weight Wd per ml of suspension is found directly
B. In pipette analysis, weight Wd per ml of suspension is found indirectly
C. In pipette analysis, weight Wd per ml of suspension is found directly.
D. None of these.
48. Hydrometer readings are corrected for :
A. temperature correction
B. meniscus correction
C. dispersing agent correction
D. temperature, meniscus and dispersing agent corrections.
49. The coefficient of curvature for a well graded soil, must be between
A. 0.5 to 1.0
B. 1.0 to 3.0
C. 3.0 to 4.0
D. 4.0 to 5.0.
Page 7 of 42