29. Degree of saturation of a natural soil deposit having water content 15%, specific gravity 2.50 and void ratio 0.05, is
30. A soil has bulk density 2.30 g/cm3 and water content 15 per cent, the dry density of the sample, is
A. 1.0 Wcm2
B. 1.5 g/cm3
C. 2.0 g/cm3
D. 2.5 g/cm3.
31. Accurate determination of water content, is made by
A. calcium carbide method
B. sand bath method
C. alcohol method
D. oven-drying method.
32. Determination of water content of a soil sample suspected to contain gypsum is made by drying the sample for longer period at a temperature not more than
33. A pycnometer is used to determine
A. voids ratio.
B. dry density
C. water content
D. density index.
34. Pick up the correct statement from the following :
A. The void ratio in soils is defined as the ratio of the volume of voids to the volume of solids
B. The porosity of a soil is defined as the ratio of the volume of voids to the gross volume of the soil
C. The bulk density of a soil is defined as the unit weight of the soil
D. All the above.
35. The specific gravity of sands is approximately
Page 5 of 42