92. Which one of the following statements is true for Mohr-Coulomb envelope ?
A. Coulomb suggests that the relationship between shear strength and normal stress, is adequately represented by the straight line
B. The generalised Mohr theory suggests that, though the shear stress depends on the normal stress, the relation is not linear
C. Coulomb and Mohr suggest that a definite relationship exists among the principal stress and the angle of internal friction
D. All the above.
93. Depending upon the properties of a material, the failure envelope may
A. be either straight or curved
B. pass through the origin of stress
C. intersect the shear stress axis
D. all the above.
94. The coefficient of compressibility of soil, is the ratio of
A. stress to strain
B. strain to stress
C. stress to settlement
D. rate of loading to that of settlemement.
95. The compression index of a soil
A. decreases with an increase in the liquid limit
B. increases with an increase in the liquid limit
C. decreases with an increase in the plastic limit
D. is not related with plastic limit
96. The ultimate settlement of a soil is directly proportional `to :
A. depth of the compressible soil strata
B. compressive index
C. void ratio
D. both (a) and (b)
97. The neutral stress in a soil mass is
A. force per neutral area
B. force per effective area
C.stess taken up by the pore water
D. stress taken up by solid particles.
98. The shear strength of a soil
A. increases with an increase in the normal stress
B. is proportional to the cohesion of the soil
C. is generally known as the strength of the soil
D. is proportional to the tangent of the angle of internal friction
Page 14 of 42