29. The dock wall is designed as a gravity retaining wall and is tested for
A. back fill pressure when the dock is empty
B. maximum water pressure from the dock without any back fill
C. the load charge transmitted to the dock by the movement of loaded vehicles or trains on the way
D. all of the above.
30. The smoothened surface of the front face of the guay walls, is known as fending which is made of
A. granite stone
D. all the above.
31. Pick up the correct statement from the following :
A. The artificial barrier constructed to enclose an area for safe anchorage, is called break water
B. The smoothened surface at the top end of the vertical face of a guay wall, is called fending
C. The effelctive berthing lengths of inclined guays can be adjusted
D. All the above.
32. Pick up the correct statement from the following :
A. The breakwater which can be used as a platform for loading and unloading of cargo is called a mole
B. The brick masonry retaining wall which is used for loading and unloading of cargo is called guay wall
C. Three types of break waters are generally provided in harbours
D. All of the above.
33. According to the recommendations of International Navigational Congress in 1912, the ratio of length to width at the entrance for cargo vessels is
A. 5.5 and 6.0 to 1
B. 6.2 and 6.8 to 1
C. 7.4 and 7.8 to 1
D. 8.2 and 8.5 to 1.
34. According to the recommendations of International Navigational Congress in 1912, the ratio of length to width at the entrance for passenger vessels is :
A. 7.25 to 1
B. 7.80 to 1
C. 8.11 to 1
D. 8.44 to 1.
35. Pick up the incorrect statement from the following In a dry dock block made of hard wood
A. spacing of the blocks is 1.35 m
B. the lowest block is 1.8 m long 40 cm x 40 cm in cross-section
C. the middle block is 1.6 m long 40 cm x 40 cm in crosss-section
D. none of these,
Page 5 of 9