8. Buffer solutions
A.will always have a pH of 7
B.are rarely found in living systems
C.cause a decrease in pH when acids are added to them.
D.tend to maintain a relatively constant pH.
9. A Bronsted acid becomes __________ upon losing a proton.
B.its conjugate acid
C.its conjugate base
D.a hydronium ion
10. Most of the important functional groups in biological molecules contain
A.oxygen and/or nitrogen and are acidic
B.oxygen and a phosphate
C.nitrogen and a phosphate
D.oxygen and/or nitrogen and are polar
11. What is the concentration, in moles/liter, of the hydrogen ion, if pH of a solution is 7?
B.7 x 10-7
C.5 x 10-7
D.1 x 10-7
12. Which of the following alcohols would be most soluble in water?
13. Which of the following acid/base pairs act as natural buffers in living systems?
D.All of these
14. If protein is made exclusively from nonpolar amino acids, then it will this protein interact with water?
A.be repelled by water
B.It will be attracted to water
C.It will form a membrane in water
D.It will act as a buffer and stabilize the pH
Page 2 of 5